Friday, October 17, 2014

The Process Sucks

Consider it a sheer gift, friends, when tests and challenges come at you from all sides. You know that under pressure, your faith-life is forced into the open and shows its true colors. So don’t try to get out of anything prematurely. Let it do its work so you become mature and well-developed, not deficient in any way. (James 1:2-4 MSG)

This for a long time was my favorite verse in the Bible.  Until I had to live it out.  I mean the idea of being "mature" and "not deficient" thrilled me.   Then I had to live out the first part of the verse.  The part that gets over looted by the wanting of the result.  The "tests" and "challenges" SUCK!!. The thing is we can just pick and choose the ones we go through.  They have a way of picking us.  And if I was completely honest I haven't faced any of them with the idea of them being a "sheer gift".  In fact I have hated most of them.  Simply because they HURT!!. I have been reminded of the line in the movie of The Princess Bride where Wesley as the dread pirate Roberts barks at her the line.  "Life is pain".  It loses its humour when applied to real life.  At least for me.  

I also don't like the idea of not getting out of it.  I love getting out of painful situations.  Unless I'm getting a tattoo then bring it on.  So as this verse has wrapped itself around me.  I have felt it's grip just envelop me.  Now I understand that it's part of a process.  But it's the process that hurts.  However it's also the part where you gather strength and endurance.  So this verse has a whole new meaning for me.  Yea I love being a more mature person.  But I hate the process.  

Now if you're going through something which I'm sure you are.  I pray that you develop quickly.  

No comments:

Post a Comment